Best Hash Brown Brand: Our Top Picks for the Perfect Breakfast Crispiness
Hash browns are a popular breakfast food that can be enjoyed in various ways. Whether you like them crispy or soft, with a side of eggs or on their own, hash browns are a delicious and satisfying way to start your day. But with so many brands and varieties available, it can be challenging to find the best hash brown brand that suits your taste and preferences.
To help you navigate the world of hash browns, we’ve researched and compiled a list of the top hash brown brands. From frozen to dehydrated, from classic to speciality varieties, we’ve got you covered. We’ve also included information on ingredients, cooking methods, and nutritional considerations to help you make an informed decision about which hash brown brand to choose. So, read on to discover the best hash brown brand for you.
- There are many hash brown brands available, but the top brands include Idaho Spuds, Aviko, and Wegmans.
- Hash browns come in various varieties, including classic, speciality, and cauliflower hash browns.
- When choosing a hash brown brand, consider the ingredients, cooking methods, and nutritional value.
What Are Hash Browns?
You’re probably familiar with hash browns if you’re a breakfast lover. Hash browns are a popular breakfast dish that consists of shredded or diced potatoes that are fried until crispy. They’re typically served as a side dish to eggs, bacon, and toast.
Hash browns are a versatile dish that can be made in a variety of ways. You can use fresh potatoes or frozen potato products, such as frozen hash browns or shredded potatoes. You can also add other ingredients to your hash browns, such as onions, peppers, or cheese, to give them extra flavour.
Frozen hash browns are a popular choice for those who want a quick and easy breakfast. They’re pre-shredded and pre-cooked, so all you have to do is heat them up in a frying pan or oven. They’re also a great option for those who want to save time in the morning.
Shredded hash browns are another popular option. They’re made by shredding fresh potatoes and frying them until crispy. They’re a bit more labour-intensive than frozen hash browns, but they’re worth the effort if you want a homemade taste.
Overall, hash browns are a delicious and versatile breakfast dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you prefer frozen or fresh, shredded or diced, there’s a hash brown option out there for you.
Top Hash Brown Brands
If you’re a fan of hash browns, you know that not all brands are created equal. Some are too crispy, while others are too mushy. But fear not, because we’ve compiled a list of the top hash brown brands that will slay your breakfast game.
- Ore-Ida: This brand is known for its high-quality frozen potatoes, and their hash browns are no exception. They have a crispy exterior and a fluffy interior, making them the perfect addition to any breakfast.
- Cascadian Farm: Cascadian Farm’s hash browns are made with organic potatoes and have a crispy texture that will satisfy your cravings. They’re also gluten-free, making them a great option for those with dietary restrictions.
- Alexia: Alexia’s hash browns are made with Yukon Gold potatoes and have a crispy texture that will make your taste buds dance. They’re also non-GMO and have no artificial preservatives, so you can feel good about what you’re eating.
- Idaho Spuds: Idaho Spuds’ dehydrated potatoes make for a unique hash brown experience. Simply add water, and you’ll have delicious hash browns in no time. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or colors.
- Simply Potatoes: These fresh potatoes are shredded and ready to cook, making them a convenient option for busy mornings. They have a crispy texture and a buttery flavor that will make you want to eat them every day.
- Aldi: Aldi’s hash browns are a great budget-friendly option that doesn’t skimp on flavor. They have a crispy texture and a classic potato taste that will satisfy your cravings.
- McCain: McCain’s hash browns are made with 100% real potatoes and have a crispy exterior and a fluffy interior. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial colors or flavors.
- Golden Grill: Golden Grill’s hash browns are made with dehydrated potatoes and have a crispy texture that will satisfy your cravings. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or colors.
- Bob Evans: Bob Evans’ hash browns are made with fresh potatoes and have a crispy texture that will make your taste buds dance. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial preservatives.
- Hamburger Helper: Hamburger Helper’s hash browns are a great option for those who want a quick and easy breakfast. Simply add water, and you’ll have delicious hash browns in no time.
- Mr. Dell’s: Mr. Dell’s hash browns are made with fresh potatoes and have a crispy texture that will satisfy your cravings. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or colors.
- Yukon Select Hashed Browns: Yukon Select’s hashed browns are made with Yukon Gold potatoes and have a crispy texture that will make your taste buds dance. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or colors.
- Pacific Valley: Pacific Valley’s hash browns are made with fresh potatoes and have a crispy texture that will satisfy your cravings. They’re also gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or colors.
- Steak ‘n Shake: Steak ‘n Shake’s hash browns are a great option for those who want a quick and easy breakfast. They have a crispy texture and a classic potato taste that will satisfy your cravings.
Hash Brown Varieties
You’re in for a treat with the variety of hash brown options available in the market. From classic hash brown patties to sweet potato hash browns, there’s a hash brown for every taste bud. Here are some of the popular hash brown varieties you can try:
- Hash Brown Patties: This is the most common type of hash brown you’ll find in the frozen section of your local supermarket. They’re pre-formed and ready to cook, making them a convenient option for busy mornings.
- Shredded Hash Browns: If you prefer a more homemade texture, shredded hash browns are a great option. They’re made from shredded raw potatoes and can be cooked in a variety of ways, including frying, baking, or even grilling.
- Diced Hash Browns: Diced hash browns are similar to shredded hash browns, but they’re cut into small cubes instead of being shredded. They’re a great option if you want a more chunky texture in your hash browns.
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns: For a healthier twist on the classic hash brown, try sweet potato hash browns. They’re made from grated sweet potatoes and are a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Southwest Hash Browns: If you’re looking for a more flavourful hash brown, try southwest hash browns. They’re usually made with a mix of peppers, onions, and spices, giving them a slightly spicy kick.
- Dehydrated Hash Brown: Dehydrated hash browns are a unique option that requires adding water before cooking. They’re made from dehydrated potatoes and are a great option if you’re looking for a more natural and preservative-free option.
- Baby Cakes: Baby cakes are small, bite-sized hash browns that are perfect for snacking or as a side dish. They’re usually made from a mix of potatoes and other ingredients like cheese or bacon.
- Crispy Potato Cubes: Crispy potato cubes are a unique option that’s made from frozen cubes of cooked potatoes. They’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, making them a great option for breakfast or as a side dish.
No matter which type of hash brown you choose, you’re sure to enjoy the crispy, golden-brown goodness that comes with each bite.
Ingredients and Seasonings
When it comes to making the perfect hash browns, the key is in the ingredients and seasonings you use. Here are some of the essential elements you should consider when making or purchasing hash browns:
The type of potatoes you use will significantly affect the texture and taste of your hash browns. Russet potatoes are the most commonly used for hash browns as they have a high starch content, which makes them crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Yukon Gold potatoes are also a popular choice as they have a buttery flavour and hold their shape well.
Oil is crucial for frying hash browns to a crispy golden brown. Vegetable oil or canola oil are popular choices as they have a high smoke point and a neutral flavour. However, if you want to add extra flavour to your hash browns, you can use olive oil or even bacon grease.
Seasoning is what gives hash browns their delicious flavour. Salt and pepper are the most basic seasonings, but you can also add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or even cayenne pepper to give your hash browns a little kick. A dash of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce can also add some depth to the flavour.
Butter and Flour
Butter and flour are not typically used in making hash browns, but some recipes call for them to help bind the potatoes together. If you’re making homemade hash browns, you can mix melted butter and flour with your grated potatoes before frying them.
Ketchup is a classic condiment that pairs well with hash browns. Some people even mix ketchup with mayonnaise or hot sauce for a spicy kick. However, if you want to try something different, you can also serve your hash browns with sour cream, salsa, or even gravy.
Cooking Hash Browns
You’re in for a treat with hash browns! These crispy, golden brown potatoes are a breakfast favourite and are perfect for a hearty meal. Here are some tips for cooking them to perfection:
If you’re cooking for a crowd, the oven is a great option. Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the hash browns on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they’re golden brown and crispy. Serve with eggs, toast, and home fries for a delicious breakfast.
If you’re in a rush, the microwave is your friend. Place the hash browns on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 1-2 minutes, until they’re hot and crispy. Serve with scrambled eggs for a quick and easy breakfast.
For a healthier option, try cooking your hash browns in an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 200°C and place the hash browns in the basket. Cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, until they’re crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve with dry toast for a guilt-free breakfast.
No matter how you cook your hash browns, they’re sure to be a hit. Enjoy!
When it comes to choosing the best hash brown brand, it’s important to consider the nutritional value of the product. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
Many frozen hash brown brands can be high in sodium, which can contribute to high blood pressure and other health issues. Look for brands that offer low-sodium options or consider making your own hash browns from scratch to control the amount of salt in your diet.
Some brands of hash browns can be high in saturated fat, which can contribute to heart disease and other health problems. Look for brands that offer low-fat or reduced-fat options, or consider making your own hash browns using healthier oils like olive oil or avocado oil.
If you have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease, it’s important to choose a hash brown brand that is certified gluten-free. Many brands use wheat flour or other gluten-containing ingredients in their products, so be sure to read the label carefully.
While hash browns may not be the most nutritious breakfast food, some brands offer added vitamins and minerals to boost their nutritional value. Look for brands that add in vegetables like spinach or sweet potato for an extra nutrient boost.
If you’re concerned about genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in your food, look for hash brown brands that are certified non-GMO. These brands use potatoes that have not been genetically modified in any way.
For those who follow a kosher diet, it’s important to choose a hash brown brand that is certified kosher. Look for brands that have been certified by a reputable kosher certification agency.
USDA Organic Certified
If you’re looking for a more natural, organic option, choose a hash brown brand that is certified USDA organic. These brands use potatoes that have been grown without the use of synthetic pesticides or fertilizers.
Affordable and Convenient Options
Looking for a delicious and affordable hash brown brand that is easy to make? Look no further than your local grocery store or online retailer like Amazon. There are many great options available that are both convenient and budget-friendly.
One popular option is the Great Value brand, which offers a variety of hash brown products at an affordable price. Their frozen shredded hash browns are a great choice for a quick and easy breakfast, and their hash brown patties are perfect for making a hearty breakfast sandwich.
Another great option is the store-brand hash browns offered by many grocery stores. These products are often just as good as the name-brand options, but at a lower price point. Plus, they are easily accessible and can be found at most supermarkets.
If you prefer to shop online, Amazon has a wide selection of frozen hash brown brands available for purchase. Simply search for “frozen hash browns” and browse through the options to find the one that best fits your needs.
Overall, there are many affordable and convenient options when it comes to hash brown brands. Whether you prefer store-bought or online shopping, there is a brand out there that is sure to satisfy your taste buds without breaking the bank.
Speciality Hash Browns
If you’re looking for something a little different than your standard hash browns, there are plenty of speciality options available. Here are some of the best speciality hash browns to try:
- Alexia Organic Hashed Browns: Made with organic potatoes, these hash browns are crispy and delicious. They’re also gluten-free and non-GMO, making them a great choice for anyone with dietary restrictions.
- Cascadian Farm Organic Root Vegetable Hash Browns: This unique blend of organic root vegetables, including sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips, makes for a tasty and nutritious breakfast option. These hash browns are also gluten-free and non-GMO.
- 365 by WFM Potatoes Hashbrowns Shredded: These shredded hash browns are made with real potatoes and are both organic and non-GMO. They’re perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or as a side dish for dinner.
- Premium Organic Hashbrowns: These hash browns are made with premium organic potatoes and are free from artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives. They’re also gluten-free and vegan, making them a great choice for anyone with dietary restrictions.
- Root Vegetable Hashbrowns: This blend of root vegetables, including sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots, makes for a tasty and nutritious breakfast option. These hash browns are also gluten-free and vegan.
No matter which speciality hash browns you choose, you’re sure to enjoy a delicious and unique breakfast experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some healthy options for store-bought frozen hash browns?
When it comes to frozen hash browns, it’s important to look for options that are low in saturated fat and sodium. Some brands offer organic and gluten-free options that can be a healthier choice. Look for hash browns made with whole ingredients like potatoes, onions, and spices, and avoid those with added preservatives or artificial flavours.
Which brand of frozen hash browns comes closest to McDonald’s hash browns?
If you’re looking for hash browns that taste like the ones from McDonald’s, you might want to try the Ore-Ida brand. They offer hash browns that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, just like the fast-food chain’s famous breakfast side dish.
What are some recipes that use frozen hash browns?
Frozen hash browns can be used in a variety of recipes, from breakfast casseroles to savoury snacks. You can make hash brown waffles, hash brown quiches, or even hash brown pizzas. They can also be used as a base for loaded potato skins or as a topping for shepherd’s pie.
Who makes the best frozen hash brown patties?
There are several brands that make delicious frozen hash brown patties. Some of the most popular options include McCain, Alexia, and Trader Joe’s. Each brand offers a slightly different flavour and texture, so it’s worth trying a few to find your favourite.
What are the nutritional benefits of organic frozen hash browns?
Organic frozen hash browns are made with whole ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives and flavours. They can be a good source of dietary fibre and potassium, which can help support a healthy diet. However, it’s important to remember that they are still a processed food and should be enjoyed in moderation.
Are there any frozen hash brown brands that are both healthy and delicious?
Yes, there are several frozen hash brown brands that offer a balance of taste and nutrition. Look for options that are made with whole ingredients and are low in saturated fat and sodium. Some brands that fit this criteria include Cascadian Farm, Alexia, and McCain.